Saturday, July 23, 2011

Renewed & Great Find: Dining Room Table with Chairs

Scratched/Scuffed table-top
People are on the move again! I found this great table scratched and scuffed and dismantled from its legs.  The structure and lines of the table attracted me to it and once I tried to pick it up to transport, I realized that it weighed a lot and therefore it was solid wood. Oddly enough the table almost looked like it had a Cherry Wood finish where the legs and the chairs were completely different. Yes, very odd indeed!
Legs after marbleizing

After a good cleaning with Tung Oil and a few hours of thorough drying, I took an old t-shirt and dipped a small portion of it in my trusty can of black indoor/outdoor paint. With varied strokes of paint, I began to add a marbleizing effect by hand and often times put my fingers in the paint and spread it around as unevenly as possible. I started with the table legs first and loved the finish outcome: This was my test as I wasn’t sure what the results were going to be. I loved it!
Table-top after marbleizing
With such great results, I naturally continued to work on the table-top which needed much longer strokes in a consistent, but erratic pattern because there was more to cover. The result was beautiful; it toned down the brighter Cherry Wood coloring and the black marble gave it a richer appearance.

When the table-top and the chairs were completely dry, I added one coat of Minwax ™  Fast-Drying Polyurethane to the table-top for daily-wear protection. Yummy!

Too cool! By the time I had finished the table, the chairs were a piece of cake!
Check them out!

Close-up of newly-marbleized chair back
Great new marbleized chairs
Cool new dining table after 1 coat of Polyurethane
Ooops! I completely forgot to mention...The chair seats had a yellowy-greasy and definitely dirty plastic cover on them. However, when I took the covers off...the seats were in IMMACULATE CONDITION and needed no help from me! Yeah! I am going to make a couple of cute seat covers to throw over these and make sure they stay super clean! :)
Cost to me: <$5.00 for the can of Polyurethane

No comments:

Post a Comment