Monday, August 8, 2011

How-to-Make: Yummy Yarn Tote

Gee, I've missed showing my fun art projects. Here's a neat yarn tote that I made to hold all those skeins that lay neglected in plastic bags from the store. I thought it would be fun to store them in one of my favorite prints. All it took was a couple of fat quarters from Joann's on sale, some scraps from other projects, a bit of Velcro and super-duper straight-stitching... I even made a thin pocket for my needles. To make it sturdy, I cut out a round-circle of cardboard and covered it with fabric (you can also add cotton and give it a soft bottom) then I stuck it inside. Cool, it stands up all by itself! You can cut the cardboard into a square or circle...it's your choice. For the top of the tote, stitch a hem about 1 1/2 inches deep and then slice a bit of the fabric and pull some of your own yarn through it for the closing tie or use ribbon. 

You can sew this tote in any shape you want. I believe in quick & easy, so I played it by ear and this is what came out. If you aren't creative enough to wing it...make a pattern and use it as a guide to cut your fabric. 

Now start knitting or crocheting something fabulous!!

Cost to make: <$3.00

Handmade ensures lasting memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment