Friday, July 8, 2011

SPECIAL Great Find Repurposed: 1937 Vintage Dining Table turned into my modern day desk

My new desk...Isn't it beautiful??
Can you believe how great this finish looks at age 74!!
Golly, I hope I look this good next year!

For almost a year, I had been on the hunt for ideas for a really chic desk for my bedroom. However, I wasn’t settling for just any old desk… No!! Not me…so I waited and looked and waited and looked and finally came upon an idea. I was going to have a clear glass top propped up by sawhorse legs. Not really my own design, but I thought it would look very cool! The problem was that I started to look out for the sawhorses and wasn’t very successful.  One day on my daily neighborhood run, I saw a table out by the trash, propped up against a very big tree, with the extension leaves in a pile off to the side. I glanced at it and continued along my run: After all the paint was chipping, the table top wood was warped, and basically… it was in really bad shape. It was a couple of days that had passed when I purposely ran by that same location and guess what??? No one else wanted that table! So, I ran home and asked my neighbor to help me secure the table and we attempted to fit it in her SUV, without success I might add. However, in looking it over a bit better I noticed it had little wheels, so yup you guessed right… I pushed it around a few corners and into our complex parking lot. Man was that a screechy endeavor!!  By the time I had it in my parking spot; I noticed I had lost one of the wheels…oh well! Duh! No wonder it was screechy.  LOL!!!

Cool metal claw feet hide little metal rollers
Company Name: Perfection Table Slide Mfg. Co in Wisconsin
What I did next gave me the complete idea I had been searching for.  I dusted it and noticed that much of it was really beautiful and only the top had really been destroyed.  I naturally removed the table-top and exposed those gorgeous legs! When I put the table-top pieces on the ground, I noticed that there was a stenciled patent number, company name, city name, and date…it was 1937!!! I had just taken apart a vintage treasure!! Gosh, too late. I simply loved what I had found and once I pulled what should have been the base for the table-top leaf extensions…the wood was in supreme condition and my table was created! All I needed next was a glass table-top!

The Warfield...Dated Feb. 23, 1937
written on the table-top underside

I saw a message on Craigslist that said, “I’m slowly getting rid of my storage items, such as…” and the list started and my eyes stopped when it read…”5 foot beveled glass table-top.” I called and met the woman at a Public Storage facility and I purchased her piece of glass for $20.00 and the rest is history… BUT I WAS SO JAZZED!

Cost to me: $20.00

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa! I have enjoyed going through your blog thanks to a very gentle reminder (you subscribing to mine!!). Thanks :)

    Your table looks great!! I, too am a big fan of roadside finds to the deep chagrin of my kids. But my daughter has learned piano sitting on a good ol' chair I found on a curb ;)

    Thanks for stopping at the fair and for our nice chat. I'll be visiting your blog often!

    ReplyDelete