Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hello!! Hello!! Remember me? I barely remember me..can't blame you if you've forgotten me!! But I AM back...actually I never left. I've been crafting, re-purposing, creating, and having a ball...but a yucky thing called an 8-5 job gets in the way of blogging. I promise to do better though!

Let's see where do I start... I guess I can work my way backwards. I joined an International Postcard Swap recently and I've been creating postcards to send out. In total we are to create 10 and send to 10 artistic-talented individuals, whose names and addresses are collected and distributed by the host of the swap. The artist participating in this particular swap must utilize 2 art mediums of their choice. So, I'll post 2 I receive and 2 that I've made...by the end of June I should receive 10. There are 8 more to go. I am now so excited to see what, Mike, my mailman, delivers. --Instead of bills in my mailbox, for this month...I'll get art instead! Woot! Woot!


 Thanks to Shannon Ganshorn who hosts this International Postcard Swap!! Sign up for the next swap and get your art-fix delivered to your mailbox too!




This past Saturday, I received my very first postcard from Kimberly Sharples in Colorado. Kim used Acrylic paint and flower stickers. It's so colorful and cheery and it brought a huge smile to my face. Thank you, Kim!


When I got home from work Monday evening, I had another surprise. This time my postcard came from Dion Hitchings from New Jersey: It's a multicolor pen drawing entitled "Brown Night." Very nice - I am not positive, but Dion seemed to use pen over crayon. Thank you, Dion!



While many who participate in this swap make 10 identical postcards...I've decided to make 10 different cards. Wait for it, wait for it... ok the waiting is over!  

 Well as you can see...I love bright colors! These colors make me happy and there is a strange magnetism that draws me to them on a daily basis. So I am hoping that the recipient of this postcard also loves bright colors. 


I used strips of fabric, brushed Mod Podge® on top for a cool shine, worked a little embroidery split stitching and created this pensive sun and then dabbed more Mod Podge® on it as well as the word transfer I used to create my message. To add a little flare, I punched a few holes at the bottom and added a few strips of frayed fabric that give it that carefree and organic look. I did this so the lucky recipient could hang it on a door, in a breezeway, or just frame it on the wall. I'd like to think someone would like it enough to decorate a tiny corner of their home, studio, or office. 

What do you think?


                  
                        I love ------------------------>


With my 2nd postcard design, I ended up taking more of a greeting card approach. I found this very cool picture in an art gallery brochure, framed her with a narrow border cut from a Starbucks recycled cup sleeve.[These sleeves are so much fun to use and there are numerous things you can use them for.] With a small bit of sky and clouds from a magazine, I then added cotton over the clouds for depth and some warm and fuzzy words for the recipient. Almost forgot, the lady got some sparkly shine with a couple of coats of...wait for it... you got it! Mod Podge®!!!!

Thanks to Mark Montano, the instigator, my adopted little brother, and my dear friend, who posted info about Shannon's International Postcard Swap.

This is turning out to be so much funnnnnnnnnnn! 




No comments:

Post a Comment