Saturday, May 19, 2018

Have you ever seen a discarded something or other that was so interesting that you drove past it, came around once more, then had to STOP???? I did! LOL!


Approximately 5 years ago, I was rushing to work when I saw wood on the sidewalk that had beautiful carvings. Unfortunately, a stream of cars were behind me and so I couldn't stop immediately. Not only that, but I had already passed a cool parking spot. Anyway, by the time I got to the corner...I knew what I could make and I JUST HAD TO GO BACK! 
It was my lucky day! After rushing around a short block I parked and this special wood was still there waiting for me. I got out and went over to it. It was a magnificent headboard and footboard with the most intricate carvings. My heart was jumping with excitement until I noticed I was going to have trouble getting it in my Toyota Camry.

However, with a little love and lots of determination, I squeezed, panel by panel, rail after rail, fitting it diagonally - yet very gently into my car. I was so happy! I knew exactly what I could repurpose it to be.
Check out the headboard carvings. I didn't even have to stain it! 


Then it hit me... I was living in a 2 bedroom apartment and didn't have room for these panels. I'd have to find someone to care for them for a short while. Well, between to sets of dear friends...my boards were cared for... about 3 years. 


One day, I moved into this cute little house with a huge backyard and my boards came home.


They sat idle for another few months and then they became what I had envisioned all along. With just a bit of buffing using Howard's Feed-N-Wax [purchased at Home Depot] and my pieces came alive!!

It was obvious that all this yearning to create had to come alive pretty quickly. So, my friend came over with his tools and we put this beautiful piece together. I am so excited to have it sit in my living room. It is very impressive and no one knows what it really originated from,  until I mention it! 

Can you locate the rails? In the part seen above... what was it before it got cut up? Can you locate the extra purchased pieces of wood that were add-ons?



This was my vision! A finished FAUX FIREPLPACE!

I just love the way my Faux Fireplace visually warms up my living room!
Oh and I am collecting Faux Palm Trees for the backyard like the one to the right of the fireplace.
This one is courtesy of Corona Beer and Rite Aid. If you see one in any store...please ask if you can have it and I will drive over and pick it up. LOL!


No comments:

Post a Comment